Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/17] bootwrapper: Add dt_set_mac_addresses().

From: Jerry Van Baren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:25:30 -0400

Timur Tabi wrote:
> David Gibson wrote:
> 
>> Ah, and it can't add the property if it's not there at all.  Ok, I
>> think I understand now.  But.. does u-boot directly use the dts files
>> from the kernel tree, or does it have its own copies?
> 
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.  You compile the DTS into a DTB, and 
> then make the DTB available to U-Boot.  That can mean either storing it 
> in flash, or tftp'ing it into memory.  When you boot Linux via the 
> U-Boot "bootm" command, you give it the address of the DTB in memory. 
> U-Boot than looks for various things and updates them.  It also creates 
> a couple new things, like a 'chosen' section.
> 
> If the DTB is in flash, it copies it to RAM.  Then it updates the 
> in-memory copy.  It's very hack-ish, though.  I think it just overwrites 
> various nodes as it pleases, and then reconnects everything.

FWIIW, I'm getting close to having a usable implementation of a new 
u-boot command "fdt" that is a lot cleaner than the hack-ish automagical 
bootm copying and updating (and uses libfdt - thanks, David!).  I just 
sent an update this morning:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/27187>

[snip]

Best regards,
gvb