Subject: Re: [PATCH] autodetect serial console on efika

From: Sylvain Munaut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:25:48 +0200

Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, Matt Sealey wrote:
>
>   
>> It is entirely possible that a user may redirect the OF console output to
>> the PSC6 controller or another internal or external serial device (PCI
>> serial controller or so). In this case, the boot console will simply switch
>> to the UART on the back, which may be some other custom device and not a
>> valid console.
>>     
>
> How many serial drivers are enabled in the public Efika firmware?
> With my change, both /failsafe and the /builtin/serial work.
> Both have device_type == "serial"
>   
If I follow the logic of the patch correctly, as soon as there is no
"console=" in the command line and that the linux,stdout-path has a
device_type "serial", you add ttyPSC0 as console ?

The user could have plugged a console on the IRDA PSC and used a
bootscript to change the OF tree appropriately.
Or he could have put a PCI multi IO card and set the stdout to it ...

In all those cases, the ttyPSC0 is bogus ...

But in those "special cases", I guess it's not too much to ask the user
to provide a "console=" in the command line.

    Sylvain