Subject: Re: Kernel crash on mem= argument

From: Frank D Lombardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:23:43 -0400

Clint Thomas wrote:
> My u-boot config does not currently have a CONFIG_PRAM variable defined.
> Is doing this as easy as dropping in a #define in my board config? Or do
> I need to address this in another part of the code? Up until now, I just
> assumed that if I passed mem=200M to the kernel, it would allocate as
> necessary, then I could use the remaining RAM as I saw fit, but since
> this is not working I need to deal with it appropriately.
>
> Clint
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Frank D Lombardo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:39 PM
> To: Clint Thomas
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Kernel crash on mem= argument
>
> Clint Thomas wrote:
>   
Clint,

I believe whats happening is that u-boot is loading the initrd in the 
region of RAM above 200M.  Then you pass mem=200M to the kernel, and it 
can't access the initrd.  By adding the appropriate CONFIG_PRAM define 
to your board config file, you let u-boot know not to use the memory 
above 200M either.  That way u-boot will load the initrd in memory that 
is usable by the kernel.

Frank