Subject: Re: Flat device tree definitions for FLASH and MTD partitioning

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:02:46 +0200

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Hello.
> 
> Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> 
>>>>> are there already some thought or even example code on how to 
>>>>> define Flash memory and MTD partitions in the DTS. This would avoid 
>>>>> the ackward MTD partitioning via static structure or boot line 
>>>>> argument and could be done in a generic way.
> 
>>>>     See Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt and 
>>>> drivers/mtd/physmap_of.c for what's been already done.
> 
>>>    I meant drivers/mtd/maps/physmap_of.c
> 
>> I had a closer look to this driver. Unfortunately, it can not handle 
>> yet  multiple FLASH banks. This could be achieved with an additional 
>> property "bank_count". What do you think?
> 
>  I'm not sure what banks you're talking about -- note that this driver 
> is equivalen in functionality to the plain 'physmap' driver and there's 
> inherited "bank-width" property that handles flash banking.

Yes, I know. Nevertheless the driver cannot handle flash regions 
composed of more than on FLASH bank because we need to probe every bank. 
Search for "BANK" in drivers/mtd/maps" to understand what I mean.

Wolfgang.