Subject: Re: [PATCH][RFC][POWERPC] i2c: adds support for i2c bus on 8xx

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:53:45 -0500

Vitaly Bordug wrote:
> i2c && 8xx combo never work with 2.6 at least in mainstream. That's why 
> related stuff were scheduled to removal by Jean even,
> before I came up with this stuff.
[snip]
>> This could all be done with an of_platform driver instead, and avoid 
>> the above.
>> (Someone else already suggested that I believe).
>>
>>   
> 
> I know i know. But it was decided, while both ppc/ and powerpc/ wander 
> around, platform devices way is preferrable.

The idea is to avoid regressions in arch/ppc; maintaining feature parity 
isn't necessary.  If, as you say above, 8xx i2c was already broken in 
2.6 (even in arch/ppc), then I see no reason not to go to an of_device 
right away.

> It is apparent why - so far only mpc885 is alive in arch/powerpc, and it 
> is not going to change soon for 8xx. 

Actually, I plan to do some arch/powerpc 8xx work over the next couple 
months, so hopefully it will change soon. :-)

-Scott