Subject: Re: powerpc_flash_init(), wtf!?

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 16:02:12 +0400

Hello.

David Gibson wrote:

>>>Unless someone who actually knows how this code was intended to be
>>>used can suggest a more polite way of fixing it.

>>I guess, the idea was for this stuff to be updated once one of the
>>dts inside boot/ would have physmap nodes added. I have
>>rom/physmap[dts] rehaul in my TODO list, but it has (so far at
>>least) little chance to happen during this merge window. Yet, if
>>someone has suggestions and/or some interest for this to be cured,
>>it will gain priority. Otherwise, I'll replace actual erroneous code
>>with kind of rant that it's up to BSP code to take care of
>>of_devices to be registered, using of_platform_bus_probe() or other
>>way.

> I'm having some trouble parsing that paragraph.  At this stage I don't
> see any reason to hold off on tearing out arch/powerpc/sysdev/rom.c,
> any necessary changes to replace it will go in the platform code or

    It doesn't seem a flexible enough approach. We could continue using 
platform devices then.

> other places.

    Any ideas where else?

WBR, Sergei