Subject: Re: powerpc_flash_init(), wtf!?

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:28:41 +0400

Hello.

David Gibson wrote:

>>>>>Unless someone who actually knows how this code was intended to be
>>>>>used can suggest a more polite way of fixing it.

>>>>I guess, the idea was for this stuff to be updated once one of the
>>>>dts inside boot/ would have physmap nodes added. I have
>>>>rom/physmap[dts] rehaul in my TODO list, but it has (so far at
>>>>least) little chance to happen during this merge window. Yet, if
>>>>someone has suggestions and/or some interest for this to be cured,
>>>>it will gain priority. Otherwise, I'll replace actual erroneous code
>>>>with kind of rant that it's up to BSP code to take care of
>>>>of_devices to be registered, using of_platform_bus_probe() or other
>>>>way.

>>>I'm having some trouble parsing that paragraph.  At this stage I don't
>>>see any reason to hold off on tearing out arch/powerpc/sysdev/rom.c,
>>>any necessary changes to replace it will go in the platform code or

>>    It doesn't seem a flexible enough approach. We could continue using 
>>platform devices then.

> Sorry, I don't follow you.

    Well, IIUC, the idea behind the device is to free the platform code of as 
much burden of registering the platform devices itself as possible, isn't it?

>>>other places.

>>    Any ideas where else?

> Not really.  I don't immediately see a case where doing it from the
> platform code wouldn't be right.

    BTW, is it legal/appropriate to specify device (not bus) types for 
of_platform_bus_probe()?

WBR, Sergei