Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] PCI fixes for the MPC8641 Rev 2.0 silicon and Rev 1.02hardware

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:43:46 -0500

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Just being able to delete a given node/property would be enough. 

I'd rather have an additive model than a subtractive one.  And it would 
not be enough, as you would not be able to have two different versions 
of a property with the same name.

>> On a related note, would it be better to name the node 
>> "/u-boot/hwoptions" (two levels deep)?  It seems very desirable to me to 
> 
> 
> It's not a u-boot-specific concept.  The idea of representing jumpers 
> (and other hardware options) in the device tree is not something that's 
> unique to u-boot or any boot loader. The conditionals, however, are a 
> bootloader-specific concept.  We don't want Linux to see them.

I put the u-boot namespace qualifier on there because the implementation 
is being suggested in the context of u-boot, and it's not a general OF 
binding.  However, as long as it gets nuked before passing it on to the 
kernel, OF/ePAPR/whatever compliance isn't quite as relevant, so plain 
old "hwoptions" should be OK.

-Scott