Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Create "rom" (MTD) device prpmc2800

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:16:25 +0400

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>>>> Nobody's talking about the direct match but making the task of 
>>>> selecting a proper driver more complex by specifying the details 
>>>> that don't help (if not hinder) the correct selection is certainly 
>>>> not a way to go.

>>> Nonsense.  If the kernel doesn't care about certain details,
>>> it can just ignore them.

>>    That's OK, as long as it has the details it needs. Your suggestions 
>> on the "compatible" devoided it of such.

> Sigh.

    There had been no suggestions about other props or using "ranges" at that 
point. That wouldn't have covered all issues anyway.

> [snip]

>>>>    That's the way the cookie crumbles in Linux MTD for now. It's 
>>>> *always* detecting this by probing -- you only can say what [not] to 
>>>> probe.

>>> So go fix that :-)

>>    Wanna pay me for that? ;-)

> You're the one complaining, you go pay yourself.

    I'm lost here. Complaining about what?

> [snip, plunk]

> Segher

WBR, Sergei