Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Create "rom" (MTD) device prpmc2800

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:34:03 +0400

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>>>>the CFI/JEDEC interface then can be deduced by probing

>>>Most of the time, sure.  Not always.

>>    That's the way the cookie crumbles in Linux MTD for now. It's
>>*always* 
>>detecting this by probing -- you only can say what [not] to probe. 

> So you are saying that because the current linux MTD stuff can only
> probe (which doesn't always work), we should not put the proper chip
> interface type in the device-tree ?

    No. But if/when we put it, it'll only be able to influence interface 
probing, but not "force" the interface.

> Your argument makes no sense to me.

    As I said, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

> Put the proper interface informations in the device-tree, maybe some OS
> smarter than linux will make good use on it and maybe linux will be
> fixed at one point too (not by you, of course, you gave us that line
> often enough about not being paid to do the right thing).

    The money was not the only factor, you know, I was under the pressure of 
schedules, and had a lot more things to do.

> Ben.

WBR, Sergei