Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Create "rom" (MTD) device prpmc2800

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:16:03 +0400

Hello.

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>> Regarding physical address ranges for the flash mapping, I suppose the
>> best is to define a property for flash chips for it.

> There is, namely "reg".  How to best describe flash chips
> interleaved on the bus is still an open problem.  And things
> like combining two sequential in address space flash chips
> into a virtual one, or describing flash "partitions" doesn't
> belong in the device tree at all; it is a policy thing, not
> a hardware thing.

    Gah, it's becoming worse and worse...
    While I would agree with that argument, not having flash partition table 
in the device tree makes things even more ugly -- as we *already* can't use 
platform device to pass that info, we'll have to either force the user to 
supply that via the kernel option, or add more kludgery to Linux/MTD. :-/

> Segher

WBR, Sergei