Subject: Re: [RFC] clocksouce implementation for powerpc

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:42:00 +0400

Tony Breeds wrote:

> 	Thanks for taking the time to look over my patch.

>>   I guess it's been based on the prior work by John Stultz (and me too :-)?

> At some level I guess so.  John did send me a patch a while ago.

>>   If you mean the init. part, this has been already done by me -- I've 
>>implemented read_persistent_clock() and got rid of xtime setting. What's 
>>left is to implemet update_persistent_clock() and get rid of 
>>timer_check_rtc()...

> Actually I think that comment is redundant.  and should be removed
> sorry.

    I guess you haven't looked thru the -rt patch? There's much more than 
John's initial patch there now, including the clockevents driver.

>>>+	.mult         = 0,	/* To be filled in */
>>>+	.read         = NULL,   /* To be filled in */
>>>+	.settimeofday = NULL,   /* To be filled in */
>>
>>   I don't quite understand why not just init them right away?  The values 
>>are fixed anyways.

> Well at least mult needs to be calculated at runtime, and I prefer to

    I was talking about the method intializers specifically.

> have the structure near the top of the file at which stage the
> read/settimeofday functions aren't defined.

    I don't think it's justified anyway.

> Yours Tony

WBR, Sergei