Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] mpc8349emitx: Add chosen node for default stdout path

From: Jerry Van Baren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:00:19 -0400

Scott Wood wrote:
> Kim Phillips wrote:
>> the old FLAT_TREE u-boot fdt fixup code renames any existing chosen
>> node out of the way, and adds its fixed up version as /chosen.

Not in my experience.  My experience is that it blindly created a second 
/chosen node.

>> The LIBFDT implementation replaces any existing /chosen with its fixed
>> up version.

Sort of.  If /chosen doesn't exist, it creates it.

If /chosen exists and "force" parameter is false, it doesn't touch it. 
If "force"  is true, it creates or fixes up properties.  The "bootm" 
command passes in force == false.  The "fdt" command passes in force == 
true.

The "force" parameter was added to sort of emulate the previous bootm 
command behavior (but behave better in the case where /chosen already 
existed).

Such is the price for not totally breaking user expectations.  Hopefully 
we recalibrate user expectations in the future and improve this.

> Could you point out the code that does this?  I don't see it in either 
> the old code or the new.
> 
> -Scott

Old code - I don't think so.

New code...
u-boot-fdt repo:
<http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-fdt.git;a=blob;f=common/fdt_support.c;h=259bd42cc62c55d11370579a7af0d6519fc34c8d;hb=01f771763ed822145b54819abb9c4516c8216d48#l96>

u-boot repo:
<http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=common/fdt_support.c;h=69099c4275ccb925cce7b7c69afc5ab4f76cfe6f;hb=HEAD#l92>

Hope this makes sense,
gvb