Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] [POWERPC] MPC8349E-mITX: use platform IDE driver for CF interface

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:46:57 -0500

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
>    I acn undertand your complaint in the context of an OF driver (which 
> we don't have yet) but "mmio-ide" just means nothing to the current 
> driver, and it doesn't convery enough info on the programming interface 
> for the conceivable OF driver, it also does need to know at least 
> "reg-stride" (and maybe "reg-size" in case only 16/32-bit accesses can 
> be used).  Well, if such driver will be written, I/O mapping support 
> will probably be dropped from it, so indeed, calling it mmio-ide.c would 
> make sense.  But that can be added when this driver is done, and for now 

I don't think the details of what Linux code currently exists should 
drive the device tree binding.  That the current patches use 
platform_device glue code is an implementation detail (and one I'd 
rather see go away, in favor of a driver that supports both 
platform_device and of_device).

> I'd really prefer the board name to appear in the "compatible" prop (to 
> which "mmio-ide" can be appended)...

Sure, that's always good...  it was the "instead" that I objected to.

-Scott