Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] [IDE] Platform IDE driver (was: MMIO IDE driver)

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:48:11 +0400

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

>>This is now very similar to pata_platform.c, they both use
>>same platform data structure and same resources.

>>To achieve that, byte_lanes_swapping platform data variable
>>and platform specified iops removed from that driver. It's fine,
>>since those were never used anyway.

>>pata_platform and ide_platform are carrying same driver names,
>>to easily switch between these drivers, without need to touch
>>platform code.

> Why? There's a drivers/ide/arm/ide_arm.c IDe driver that some platforms 
> (not in the mainline) hack to access, e.g., CF cards in true-IDE mode. 
> About a month ago I submitted a patch to arm-linux-kernel switching that 

    Wrong list to submit sych stuff, post to linux-ide.

> driver to using platform-device. I got a reply, that it's not worth it now 
> that IDE is slowly becoming obsolete, and the pata_platform serves the 
> perpose perfectly well. I found this argument reasonable, I had the same

    Ignore such replies in the future. ;-)

> doubt, just wanted to double-check. So, why do we now need a new legacy 
> (a/drivers/ide/legacy/ide_platform.c) driver when a "modern" driver 
> exists?

    Good question (I know the answer but won't tell ;-).

> Thanks
> Guennadi

MBR, Sergei