Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] [POWERPC] MPC8349E-mITX: use platform IDE driver for CF interface

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:24:18 +0400

Hello, I wrote:

>>>>>   Also, what mmio-ide in the compat properly means in the context 
>>>>>of ide_platform which is able to handle both port and memory mapped 
>>>>>IDE.

>>>>I/O-space is only valid in the context of PCI, ISA, or similar buses, 
>>>>and
>>>>the bus-specific reg format indicates whether it's mmio-space or
>>>>io-space.

>>>   You could save time on lecturing me (and use it to look on the 
>>>driver ;-).

>>Sorry, I misread the question as being a mismatch between the 
>>capabilities of the device binding and the driver, not about the 
>>specific compatible name.

>     That too. :-)

>>Something like "generic-ide" would probably be better.

>     I strongly disagree with "generic" part. The generic IDE could only be 
> said of 1:1 I/O mapped IDE ports, not about this fancy mapping.

    BTW, there's already something called drivers/ide/ide-generic.c... :-)

MBR, Sergei