Subject: Re: Using video memory on PS3 e.g. as SWAP?

From: Geoff Levand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:14:24 -0700

� wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> looking at the PS3 as one of the few PowerPC workstation options the RAM
> is obviously quite limitted with just 256MB. 

Can I recommend in the future you send this kind of PS3 specific inquiry to
the cbe-oss-dev mailing list?

  [email-masked]
  https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/cbe-oss-dev

> I wonder if the 256MB of
> video memory can be mapped or at least be used as super-fast SWAP?

As Marc mentioned, some work was done using unsupported functionality of
the current hypervisor.  There is no assurance it will continue to work
with future system software updates.

> Or are there news regarding accessing the video chip from Linux beside
> the unaccelerated frame-buffer?

We plan to improve Linux graphics support, but we have not announced any
specifics.  The changes may make the above mentioned driver no longer work.

-Geoff