Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] [POWERPC] MPC8349E-mITX: use platform IDE driver for CF interface

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:11:49 +0400

Hello.

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>>>> +    ide@f0000000 {
>>>> +        compatible = "mmio-ide";
>>>> +        device_type = "ide";

>>>     Why not "ata"?

> The hardware is called (E)IDE, the protocol is called ATA.

    Sorry for not denouncing this earlier. :-)
    ATA is the name of ANSI standard describing IDE.

> Or that's what I was told --

    Re-check your sources. ;-)

 > I think there's some historic revisionism involved, too.

    IDE was probably an initial name of the infamous disk hardware/protocol 
later standardized as ATA, EIDE (being more of a trademark) more or less 
equals to ATA-2.

>>     Also, what mmio-ide in the compat properly means in the context of
>> ide_platform which is able to handle both port and memory mapped IDE. 
>> I think
>> we must get rid with this crap, and since this IDE register mapping is 
>> pretty
>> much board specific, call it something like "mpc8349emitx-ide" instead.

> "mmio-ide" simply is not specific enough.  The device_type

    Yes.

> should go, too.

> If this IDE interface is board-specific, thee "compatible"

    It's "thy", not "thee". ;-)

> property should include the board vendor name and board
> name.  Oh, that's what "emitx" tries to do -- it could be
> a bit clearer perhaps ;-)

    Yeah, I forgot about the vondor's "fsl," prefix.

> Segher

MBR, Sergei