Subject: Re: [Kgdb-bugreport] 2.6.23-rc3-mm1: kgdb build failure on powerpc

From: Jason Wessel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:13:10 -0500

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:
> We are getting a problem with VMware where kernel text is the schedler
> is getting wacked with four null bytes into the code. Thought I'd use
> the current linux-2.6-kgdb.git tree and possible the CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA
> patch to make kernel text readonly:
>
>  https://www.x86-64.org/pipermail/patches/2007-March/003666.html
>
> I thought the kernel text was RO and gdb had to disable it to
> insert a breakpoint.
>
>   

If you are going to make all the kernel text RO, then you are going to 
have to add some code to the kgdb write memory so as to unprotect a 
given page or all the breakpoint writes are going to fail.  
Alternatively you can use HW breakpoints.  But, I have no idea if your 
VM Ware simulated HW emulate HW breakpoint registers or not.

Jason.