Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: rheap-managed bootmem allocator

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:16:41 -0500

Kumar Gala wrote:

> seems like we should have a way to set bootmem_size via board/platform 
> code and not require a cmdline arg.

I can add a Kconfig option for it, but since there is no Kconfig for the rheap 
itself, I didn't know where to put it.  Once Sylvain's patch is accepted, I 
can update this patch by adding this Kconfig option:

config PPC_RHEAP_BOOTMEM
	int "Default size (in KB) of the rheap bootmem allocator"
	default 0
	---help---
	  This is the default size (in KB) of the boot memory to allocate (via
	  alloc_bootmem).  This value can be  overridden on the kernel command
	  line using the "rhbootmem" option (e.g. "rhbootmem=2M")

One thing I don't like, however, is the name.  It doesn't really make sense to 
call it the "rheap bootmem allocator" because the fact that it uses an rheap 
is hidden from the callers of rheap_bootmem_alloc().

-- 
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale