Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] i2c: Add devtree-aware iic support for PPC4xx

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:18:00 -0500

Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:53:40PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Though, I don't see what the problem with the original approach is,
>> as long as the numbers are chosen in the same way when registering
>> i2c clients based on the children of the adapter node.  There's no
>> concept in the hardware itself of a bus number.
> 
> Huh? As far as I can tell, there is.

Where?  Hardware != Documentation.

> Also, I want messages from the kernel mention something I can map to
> the real hw, e.g. fixed IIC device index, not some random number.

The OF node path should have a unit address that accomplishes that.

> I find it rather puzzling that instead people are trying to make this
> a non-issue as soon as it cannot be implemented easily with their new
> and shiny infrastructure.

"People" are not a monolithic entity.  I never advocated using bus numbers.

-Scott