Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pasemi: process i2c device tree entries at boot

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:21:25 -0500

Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 05:54:51PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Olof Johansson wrote:
>>> Setup i2c_board_info based on device tree contents. This has to be
>>> a device_initcall since we need PCI to be probed by the time we
>>> run it, but before the actual driver is initialized.
>> Can we factor at least some of this stuff out into common code?
> 
> I didn't really feel strong motivations to do so, given that the amount
> of shared code is quite small, and the official bindings are not yet
> determined.

Enh...  I'm just irked because I originally did it in a generic manner, 
and whoever it was that did further work on my patch shoved in into 
fsl_soc. :-P

> Chances are whenever the bindings are done they might be incompatible
> with what we already have in our firmware, so the code would need to be
> separated out again.

Well, then it'd be better to just have one bit of code to fix, right? :-)

It'd suck to see different i2c controllers end up implementing the 
binding differently due to the forking, though.  Already with this 
patch, we have a different set of i2c devices that will be recognized 
depending on the adapter.

-Scott