Subject: Re: loading NOR flash from DT

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:54:08 +0400

Hello.

Sebastian Siewior wrote:

> I have here a MPC8544 DS board with NOR flash on it and Kumar's git
> tree. I'm trying to detect this flash with the physmap_of module. I
> added a nor_flash block (I used sequoia.dts as an example) into my
> device tree on the same level as soc8544 or memory (or between them).

    I guess you were using quite recent kernel version where the file that 
published the node (arch/powerpc/sysdev/rom.c) had been already dremoved and 
and the platform code still didn't publish the on-board devices via 
of_platform_bus_probe().

> After modprobing physmap_of nothing happend. Then I tried to make a tree
> with plb -> opb -> ebc and finally nor_flash but still nothing changed.

    Add either of_platform_bus_probe() or platform_device_create() to 
arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/85xx_ds.c.

> Is there a user space dependency or did I just edit my device tree the
> wrong way? Any hints are welcome :)

    You haven't cited your node, so no conclusion acn be made about it...

WBR, Sergei