Subject: Re: boot/wrap assumes a biarch toolchain?

From: Jan Dittmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:15:42 +0100

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Jan Dittmer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Your mail from 2007-10-29 4:39 pm (CET)
>>
>>>> Your compiler still needs -m32 to generate 32-bit code (or use
>>>> --with-cpu=default32 to make that the default).
>> See the 'still' ?
> 
> How would the compiler know whether to generate 64bit or 32bit code??

Andreas, I think we both got a bit lost. Lets take a step back.

The original problem was that after 2.6.23 cross compiling
powerpc/g5_defconfig broke (Regression). Using gcc 4.0.4, powerpc64
target as cross compiler and powerpc target as 32-bit cross compiler.

Since 2.6.23-git1 it is now broken. Using gcc 4.1.2 didn't fix this. Neither
with "--with-cpu=default32" present nor without. So could you please
explain to me how I'm supposed to cross compile powerpc/g5_defconfig now?
Passing CFLAGS=-m32 didn't help too.

Or is it just a new bug in the kernel make system?

Just for reference up till 2.6.23 I used the following command:
make ARCH=powerpc HOSTCC=gcc-4.0 CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-linux-  \
	CROSS32_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-

Thanks,

Jan