Subject: Re: use of fsl, in lite5200b.dts in git current

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:57:44 -0600

Matt Sealey wrote:

> The orderable part numbers add 3 or 4 characters to the front and about
> 8 after. There is a difference between MPC7400 and PPC7400, and the
> low voltage versions, and the different clock speeds. Orderable part
> number for a recent G4 might be PPC7448B1333NL -

Yeah, part, stepping, variant, speed, etc.

> this is a ridiculous
> amount of specificity in a device tree, 

Except that some of that information _is_ specified
elsewhere in other properties.  Speed, for example.

> and it also does not match the
> datasheet (MPC7448 is the name of the chip).

Because the data sheets are _soooo_ reliable. :-)

> Indeed, so.. at some point we should all sit down and hammer out the
> major issues in describing something like the MPC5121E because right
> now Genesi has a vested interest in that.

You understand that _that_ is being worked on as we, er, speak?

> If we could all agree on how it should be mapped out, with an example
> tree which shows *every damn thing available* so platform developers
> can pick and choose and OF developers can use it as a reference, it
> would make a much happier process.

Right.  It's being nailed down, but it is a slow, community process...

> And then we can fix up the Efika to fit some definition of the new
> MPC5200 tree too.

*gasp*

> By the way while I was poking around the tree today I noticed that
> there is a PCI errata fixup handled by a Kconfig in there. Why?

Happens occasionally.  And other places as well.

> Surely
> this is something you check the PVR/SVR for and switch on that for
> a runtime solution, 

That's not always fine-grained enough to base a decision on it.

> and not trick users with the possibility of
> forgetting to enable some obscure "PCI errata fix" configuration
> item? (CONFIG_PPC_MPC5200_BUGFIX)

It should be in the defconfig. :-)

jdl