Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] [POWERPC] MPC8349E-mITX: introduce localbus and pata nodes

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:07:14 +0300

Anton Vorontsov wrote:

>>>>>2. "ioport" because shift^Wstride ;-) applies only to the io range
>>>>>(yes, it's obvious, but worth open-wording, no?).

>>>> Contrarywise, to memory range.

>>>By io range I meant "I/O base", in contrast to "CTL base".

>>>There is no need to apply shifting for CTL. That's why ioport-*
>>>appeared in the first place.

>>   So, a matter of wrong terminology then. The thing that you meant by 
>>   "I/O" is actually called "command block".

> Yes. And IO is the second name.

    I'd say the first place in drivers/ide belongs to the historic name 
"taskfile". The "command block" which is as ATA standard calls it, is hardly used.

> It's used widespread in the drivers/ide/.

    Don't remember seeing it.

> Now you understand why I'm so reluctant to hanging up different
> labels on the single thing? ;-)

    :-)

MBR, Sergei