Subject: Re: PowerPC Cross Compiler's Arch doesnt match

From: Ben Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:39:12 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Parent wrote:
> I'm building a linux distro for work, that runs on embedded systems 
> with either and ARM 9 or a PowerPC 603.  I've had great luck building 
> a cross compiler w/ crosstools and using them in the compiler jail 
> created by Scratchbox.  Now I am working on porting all my work to the 
> PowerPC.  When I build the cross compilers I have selected GCC-4.0.1 
> and GLIBC-2.3.5 for both setups.  I create my jail in Scratchbox for 
> the PowerPC and try compiling any of the GNU applications and when 
> running the configure script I get:
>
I have no idea what Scratchbox is, but when running gnu configure to 
cross-compile something, you typically need to supply the following 
switches:

--host=powerpc-linux --build=i686

and CC will have to point to your cross compiler (e.g. export 
CC=powerpc-linux-gcc, or export CC=ppc_6xx-gcc, whatever your cross 
compiler is called).  Of course, the values of these switches will 
depend on your setup, but this is what I use and I've built all sorts of 
packages from source.

regards,
Ben