Subject: Re: add phy-handle property for fec_mpc52xx

From: Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:36:19 +0000

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:30:13PM +0000, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> Sven Luther wrote:
>>> Let's just fix this in the kernel, until we get a fixed efika firmware,
>>> then we can drop it easily enough. But until this happens, we need to be
>>> able to boot the kernel without any extra work on the users part.
>> That is exactly why I don't like the idea. Yes, it makes it easier for users
>> and easier for distro managers to say "it supports the Efika" but it makes
>> the Forth fixing, and any further firmware development (ignore the lack of
>> releases, it means nothing) much harder.
> 
> efika firmware development is dead. Until we see a release we should
> assume that the efika is a firmware with breakage, and no upstream

The link that Olaf presented, www.powerdeveloper.org/asset/by-id/46 *is*
the upstream support for now. What his patch does is say, the upstream
support exists, but we don't like it, so we will supplement the patch..

-- 
Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations