Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] Return a non-zero exit code if an error occurs during dts parsing.

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:22:52 -0600

David Gibson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:55:09PM -0600, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:30:33PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
>>> This is unequivocally wrong.  boot_info should have information about
>>> the contents of the blob, not state information like the error.
>> "This blob is invalid" *is* information about the contents of the blob.
>>
>>> If you're going to use an ugly global, then use it everywhere.
>> Why go out of our way to make the code even less library-able/thread-safe?
> 
> It doesn't make it any less thread-safe.  A global variable used some
> places is just as bad as a global variable used everywhere from that
> point of view, and is more complicated.

But the knowledge of the fact that the boot_info struct is a global is 
isolated to the treesource code.  I don't see any reason to add another 
global at the *interface* level, much less that not doing so is 
"unequivocally wrong".

-Scott