Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] Warp Base Platform

From: Sean MacLennan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:26:15 -0500

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> I don't where that function is actually defined - I assume it is in one
> of the other recent patch sets.
>
> /me searches ...
> /me reads "ad7414 driver" email ...
> /me notes spaces missing there as well :-)
>
>   
I didn't write the ad7414 driver and wanted to change the original code 
as little as possible.
> Tricky.  You have something that can only be built in (pika_dtm_thread in
> warp.c) calling something that might be a module ... I think you need to
> think of a new way of organizing these pieces. 
>   
The DTM is a very small, but important part of the taco. Basically it 
controls the fan. I could have wrapped it in a CONFIG_AD7414, but I 
would rather have a compile time error and ship people the ad7414.c.

That said, I could just slam a CONFIG_AD7414 around the DTM code. It 
would just mean that the fan would run at high speed all the time if you 
didn't have it.

I really don't want to have to write a driver just to get one register 
from the temperature chip. And we want the DTM running ASAP on startup. 
I think forcing taco users to build in the i2c and ad7414 drivers is not 
a hardship. And we do ship a working kernel with the taco.

And as a special bonus to readers of this thread, an exclusive, never 
before seen, picture of tigger, my development taco. I have to point out 
it is a development prototype and not the final product.

ftp://ftp.seanm.ca/stuff/tigger.jpg or 
http://ftp.seanm.ca/stuff/tigger.jpg .

Cheers,
  Sean