Subject: Re: [PATCH] MTD for Taco

From: Sean MacLennan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:55:21 -0500

Stefan Roese wrote:
>
>> +#ifdef CONFIG_TACO
>> +/* The NDFC may allow 32bit read/writes, but it sure doesn't work on
>> + * the taco!
>> + */
>>     
>
> We definitely don't want to see such board specific stuff in the common
> NDFC driver. And I really doubt that you need this change for your board.
> We are using this ndfc driver on multiple boards, and all have no
> problems accessing the controller with 32bit read/writes. So you most
> likely have a problem with your board port. Perhaps something with
> with the EBC setup. Please re-check and compare with boards that are know
> to work, like Sequoia.
>   
How about adding a config option that lets you specify 8 bit access? 
Something like CONFIG_NDFC_8BIT_ACCESS. We could default it to no and 
put a little blurb that says something like:

On some platforms the 32bit read/writes cause a machine access 
exception. If you get a machine access exception while reading the NAND 
bad block table, try turning on 8 bit access.

Cheers,
   Sean