Subject: Re: [i2c] [PATCH 3/3] Add device tree compatible aliases to i2c drivers

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:33:17 -0600

Olof Johansson wrote:
> For example, for an eeprom I might have: "MCHP,24lc128est",
> "MCHP,24xx128", "24c128". The at24 driver (not in mainline yet :) would
> likely match with "24c128", and it would normally not make sense to have
> to list all specific vendors and models of the device type in question
> in the driver.

It's not really about the vendors of the device, but the namespace it 
goes into.  If there's really no canonical vendor name, then a plain old 
"24c148" might make sense, but that seems like it'd be fairly rare.

> I can't register a board_info for each of the compatible fields without
> changing the way the i2c drivers are registered, since the creation of
> the duplicate entries will start reporting errors.

Even with the current i2c changes that have been flying around the 
lists?  If so, it should be fixed...

> So it seems that the solution would be to make i2c_board_info take a
> list of names for the device, and each of them has to be matched with
> all drivers, taking the first match.

Agreed.

-Scott