Subject: Re: Configuring Freecale ucc_geth without a PHY

From: Steven Hein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:38:11 -0600

Kim Phillips wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:08:43 -0600
> Steven Hein <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>   
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a custom board with an MPC8358 (our board is based
>> off of the MPC8360E-MDS development board) that has its eth's
>> directly connected (GMII) to a Broadcom network switch
>> part on the same board, with no PHYs between them.
>> We've have been using a 2.6.16.18 kernel (from TimeSys) up
>> until now, and I hacked in some crude support for no-phy
>> configs forced to 100Mbit and 1Gbit speeds.   Now I'm
>> moving to 2.6.22 (with 8360 the patches from bitshrine.org),
>> and I'm trying to understand how I should do this with
>> device trees, the new PHY infrastructure, etc.   Has anyone
>> else needed this support?   Does anyone have any suggestions
>> as to how to tackle it?
>>     
>
> check out the "fixed-link" property and associated code.  This
> implementation came about after 2.6.22 though (it's commit-ish
> v2.6.23-10096-ga21e282).
>
> Kim
>   
Thanks for the pointer Kim!     Using the "fixed-link" property
code already in the tree, and adding the glue in ucc_geth.c to
use it (modeled after the code in gianfar fix-link support
in fsl_soc.c), I was able to get this working with me 8360 board.

Is there a document anywhere that describes how to submit
patches for the powerpc kernel?    Or do I just create the patch
(I'm learning about git right now...) again the paulus/powerpc.git
tree, and send it to this list?

Thanks,
Steve

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Hein ([email-masked])              Engineering Diagnostics/Software
Silicon Graphics, Inc.                          
1168 Industrial Blvd.                 Phone: (715) 726-8410
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729              Fax:   (715) 726-6715
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~