Subject: Re: MPC8272 FCC2 MDIO on Port D and FS_ENET

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:39:37 -0600

NM wrote:
> My problem is solved now after probing the lines, MDC was not showing 
> any activity.
> So, after explicitly setting the PD23 (MDC) to : OUTPUT/GPIO in 
> mpc8272_ads_pins and  it worked in
> 
> I'd previously thought about that, but I was sure that this was being 
> taken care of, but now that I'm thinking of it, I'm questioning my belief. 
> I think in the fs_enet/mii-bitbang.c: mdio_dir(..) it is supposed to 
> take care of this.

No, the mdc pin is static; only bits which need to be changed 
dynamically are dealt with in mii-bitbang.c.  Either the firmware or the 
platform code should set up static pins.

> But why I had to explictly set it initially beats me. 
> I wonder how this works in standard distribution.

It's probably set up by u-boot normally, at least if you boot from ethernet.

-Scott