Subject: simple MPC5200B system

From: André Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:15:28 +0100

All,

I'm quite stuck in getting our MPC5200B based systems work on 2.6.24+=20
... maybe someone could give me some hints.
Up to now the systems have been running on 2.6.19 without any problems.

This is what I've done so far :

- get a recent system with 2.6.19 running and keep the toolchain (gcc=20
4.0) including RFS uImage.
- latest bootloader (u-boot 1.3.2) is running fine with dtb support.
- Kernel and RFS images are available via bootp/tftp
- device tree blob seems ok, i.e. u-boot can display the blob and fill=20
in all clocks correctly.
- Kernel gets called with Kernel, RFS and dtb on suitable adresses=20
(0x100000, 0x600000, 0x5F0000).
- nothing more happens. It looks like the console isn't working properly=20
- maybe worse ...

We're using the latest git version from Wolfgang Denk.

The kernel has been build using the "MPC5200 simple" setup. I've added=20
our board identifier "mv,mvbluecougar" to the list of supported boards=20
in the "mpc52xx_simple.c" file. This identifier is used in the dtb as=20
well of course. This should be enough along with a valid device tree=20
blob, isn't it ? Did I miss anything already ?

As far as I did understand by reading the docs it should be possible=20
running a general MPC52xx kernel with a custom dtb ? Is this correct ?

The dts file has already been reduced to a minimum, i.e. only the cpu,=20
pic, xlb and a few nodes like psc1 and psc2 are present. No bestcomm,=20
pci, ata or "advanced" features like mtd partitions. All I want to get=20
working is the serial console on "/dev/ttyPSC0".

Are there any hidden stumbling blocks ?

Sorry for the "simple" questions but obviously there are many questions=20
coming up during move from "ppc" to "powerpc".

Any help is appreciated.

regards,
Andr=E9 Schwarz
Matrix Vision GmbH

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstra=DFe 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergeric=
ht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner