Subject: Xenomai on TQ MPC5200

From: Thomas Häberle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:09:33 +0100

Hello!

My target hardware is a MPC5200 on a TQ STK52xx.
I am developing in a Linked Setup with ELDK 3.1.1 under a Debian Linux 
(Release 2.6.18-4-686 ; gcc 4.1.2).
The whole ELDK was already used in a former project with identical 
hardware and some early tests I ran showed that it works fine (as far as 
I can see).

My goal is to get a real time Linux OS running on the target (preferably 
Xenomai) and establish a RT ethernet connection with a identical 
hardware setup (planning to use RTnet). But I am somehow stuck in the 
first place for I can't get the kernel built:
I tried quite a number of Kernel-Xenomai-Adeos-Version-combinations in 
the past four days without any actual success.

Yesterday I downloaded the Linuxppc_2_4_develop-sources from the GIT 
repository of the DENX site and set them to the exact point where the 
Adeos-Patch coming along with Xenomai 2.4.2 is build for (commit # ). 
The patch worked fine (ran trough), I configured the kernel and built 
the dependencies, but I am still unable to crosscompile the kernel and 
am also slowly running out of ideas.

I am relatively new to this part of the software world, so forgive me 
for my maybe basic questions:
I found no explicit information on the web, whether Xenomai can be run 
on my specific target at all:
Has anyone tried or knows something about that?
Or where could I check whether it is (besides asking TQ of course)?
Maybe the better way would be trying  with RTAI?
Are there any known oddities of the STK52xx and/or MPC5200?
Do I have to adapt my ELDK in any further way to get things going and 
using the DENX-sources (okay I guess this is hard to say without 
detailed information about my ELDK setup...)?
Any other helpful experience, hints or tricks?

Thanks & Greetings,
Thomas