Subject: Re: Please pull linux-2.6-mpc52xx.git

From: Bartlomiej Sieka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:38:48 +0100

Grant Likely wrote:
[...]
> (copied from my comments in an off-list conversation)
> 
> However, I have declined (for now) to pick up the defconfigs for those
> boards and instead merged in the config features they require into the
> mpc5200 defconfig.  My primary reason for doing so is to increase the
> likelyhood that full featured kernels are built and tested so that
> situations where board ports conflict with each other are caught and
> fixed.
> 
> ojn has also been complaining about the number of defconfigs he needs
> to build to test all the powerpc configurations without any
> indications about which ones are important and which ones are not.
> There has been some discussion about having a subdirectory for
> optimized board configs, but nobody has done anything about it yet.
> 
> The one part that I have a really strong opinion on is that there
> should be a full featured mpc5200 defconfig for build testing.  Beyond
> that (and if ojn can also be appeased) I can probably be convinced.  :-)

Hi Grant,

How to deal with a situation where I need a particular PHY driver from
libphy compiled in the kernel for one of the MPC5200 boards? Adding it
to mpc5200_defconfig doesn't seem like a right thing to do. How to
convince you (and appease ojn) to accept a patch that adds a
board-specific defconfig that only slightly differs from
mpc5200_defconfig? :)

Regards,
Bartlomiej