Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Driver for Freescale 8610 and 5121 DIU

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:12:25 -0500

Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 04/14/2008 03:45 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
>> Jiri Slaby wrote:
>>
>>> See
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/12/375
>> That email is dated 3/12 and those comments are about v1 of the patch.  The most
>> recent posted version is v5 and it addresses all these issues.  See
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/1/346
> 
> Ok, how is the sleep-inside-spinlock in fsl_diu_open resolved? rh_alloc might 
> sleep if I still see correctly, do I?

Hmmm... I thought I had an answer to this question, but I checked the patch
again, and it looks like this particular issue hasn't been fixed.  rh_alloc can
still sleep.  I know we worked on fixing this bug, so I'm not sure why it's
still there.

However, we don't need to call rh_alloc().  The arch/powerpc code has been
updated to remove the need for us to a use an rheap.

Unfortunately, the author of the patch, York, is out this week, so I'll have to
take care of this.  It'd be easier to modify rh_alloc() so that it doesn't
sleep, so that's what I'm going to do.

-- 
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale