Subject: patch to install unstripped vDSO on disk breaks powerpc kernel build

From: "Chris Friesen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 11:16:39 -0600

I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and binutils 2.15.92.0.2.  I originally saw the 
following problem in 2.6.25 but it's present in git head as well:

   CALL /home/cfriesen/kernels/2.6.25/linux-2.6.25/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   CALL 
/home/cfriesen/kernels/2.6.25/linux-2.6.25/arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl_chk.sh
   AS      arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl.o
   OBJCOPY arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so
BFD: arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so: The first section in the 
PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
/home/cfriesen/bin/ppc64-R9a/bin/ppc64-R9a-objcopy: 
arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so: Bad value
BFD: arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so: The first section in the 
PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
/home/cfriesen/bin/ppc64-R9a/bin/ppc64-R9a-objcopy: 
arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so: Bad value
make[3]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/vdso64.so] Error 1
make[2]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64] Error 2
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

I installed git and bisected the problem.  It turns out that it's due to 
the following commit:

commit 8150caad02266623b5b9f58088d589f130fccd97
Author: Roland McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Oct 2 13:30:04 2007 -0700

[POWERPC] powerpc vDSO: install unstripped copies on disk
This keeps an unstripped copy of the vDSO images built before they are 
stripped and embedded in the kernel.  The unstripped copies get 
installed in $(MODLIB)/vdso/ by "make install".  These files can be 
useful when they contain source-level debugging information.

     Signed-off-by: Roland McGrath <[email-masked]>
     Cc: Sam Ravnborg <[email-masked]>
     Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
     Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
     Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks,

Chris