Subject: Re: [RFC] Make board force selection of PHYLIB

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:36:10 -0500

Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Kumar Gala wrote:
>>> On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
>>>> I'd rather avoid adding another case where the kernel needs to know 
>>>> what modules are being built, though, especially if the result of 
>>>> changing the .config and building modules is a mysterious runtime 
>>>> failure (due to a missing platform fixup) rather than compile- or 
>>>> insertion-time.
>>> I don't follow what you are getting at here.  Is this something more 
>>> than #ifdef PHYLIB in the platform code?
>>
>> If you just #ifdef PHYLIB, then things will break if the user does this:
>> make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=n
>> make zImage
>> make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=m
>> make modules
>>
>> And the cause of the failure will not be something that obviously 
>> points to a build problem, such as unresolved symbols.
> 
> what you are suggesting will not break with my patch.

Yes, it will -- note the absence of a "make zImage" after the second 
make config.

> The second case will for PHYLIB=y w/the select.

And that will only make a difference if you rebuild the kernel itself 
after enabling the module.

-Scott