Subject: Re: Device tree for powerpc boards.

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:49:37 -0500

Leonid wrote:
> Hi:

Hi.

> 1) Is the usage of device tree absolutely mandatory for powerpc boards
> or just recommended and by combining appropriate defines in u-boot and
> linux it can be avoided? 

Consider it mandatory.

> 2) I understood that I can add my proprietary drivers without creating
> nodes for them in the tree, is it correct?

Maybe, maybe not.  Device Trees describe _hardware_, not drivers.

> 3) In order to compile DT blob from DT source, DT compiler (dtc) is
> required. I have installed one on my ubuntu machine and successfully
> compiled source, creating a blob. Is this the only way to go? Perhaps
> there is some target in Linux or u-boot Makefiles which does this job? 

Install the DTC anyway you want.  I recommend grabbing
it from jdl.com and building it.

jdl