Subject: Re: Linux on Virtex board with ARCH=powerpc

From: Aaron Sells <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:18:52 -0400

Peter,

Peter Mendham wrote:
> I now have a new and rather bizarre problem, which maybe you or someone 
> else has met before.  I have a simple FPGA design with memory, a sysace 
> and a uart16550 on an ML405 (I've put my hardware to one side for the 
> moment).  It works just fine.  If I swap the uart16550 for a uartlite 
> (remaking the kernel with the correct device tree) I see all the boot 
> messages and the kernel seems to start OK, the root partition is mounted 
> but then I see nothing from /sbin/init.  This is the same root fs that I 
> was using with the uart16550 example I just mentioned.  So it's a known 
> good root fs, but it doesn't appear to be able to output to /dev/console 
> when I have a uartlite instead of a uart16550.  I have selected console 
> support for uartlite.  Any ideas?
> 

I had to modify /etc/inittab on my OpenEmbedded rootfs and replace ttyS0 
with ttyUL0 to get the console working with uartlite on my ML403.

> Thanks,
> -- Peter

Regards,
Aaron