Subject: High Memory problem on 2.4.22 Linux, 2GB ppc card

From: Ruksen INANIR <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:20:49 +0300

Hi all,
    I am working on a PPC Motorola card, which runs Linux 2.4.22.  The 
card has 2 GB onboard memory. But with use 1456 MB of  the available 
memory.  To increase the memory capacity i  need  to  increase the used 
memory at least 64 MB. With CONFIG_HIGHMEM option all of the 2 GB memory 
can be used but, but the fc driver on the card has no high memory 
support, so this caused problems.
   
    Then i saw that the memory is limited to 1456 by
    #define MAX_LOW_MEM        0x5B000000  setting in pgtable.c.  I 
tried to increase it by 64 MB but i could only increase the value of 
MAX_LOW_MEM by 47 MB (1503 MB) without CONFIG_HIGHMEM option.

    1)Is there any other setting that i should set other than     
MAX_LOW_MEM to increase the usable memory to 1520 ?
    2)I knew that the addressable physical memory without high memory 
option was 1 G.  How was it possible to address 1503 MB without 
CONFIG_HIGHMEM ? What is the max usable memory for 2.4.22 kernel?

    Thanks,
    Rinanir.