Subject: Re: Booting ML405 (Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found)

From: neeraj garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:55:16 +0530

Hi,

Yes I am using ARCH=ppc (actual line is $make ARCH=ppc 
CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-405-linux-gnu- zImage.initrd ) for this I have 
placed ramdisk.image.gz in arch/ppc/boot/images. In case of ARCH=powerpc 
I cannot find processor type 405 , in make menuconfig. Thats why i am 
using ARCH=ppc.

And when I give kernel command string as init=/bin/sh , it says :
 >Failed to execute /bin/sh.  Attempting defaults...
[    3.744035] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing 
init= option to kernel.
[    3.768073] Rebooting in 30 seconds..

--init is present in sbin/init which is a soft link to ../bin/busybox

--I used powepc-405-gnu-readelf -h bin/sh to verify that it is compiled 
for powerpc itself.

Any other suggestions ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Neeraj Garg

Grant Likely wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:24:13AM +0530, neeraj garg wrote:
>   
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to boot ML405 with Linux source code downloaded from  
>> http://www.git.xilinx.com . My cross compiler tool chain version is  
>> gcc-3.4.1, glibc-2.3.2 and binutils-2.15. I have also downloaded RAMDISK  
>> from same url (http://www.git.xilinx.com). When I download  
>> zImage.initrd.elf using XMD everything goes fine, untill RAMDISK is  
>> uncompressed, I get following messages :
>>
>>     
> <snip>
>   
>>                                           [    3.736691] Failed to  
>> execute /sbin/init.  Attempting defaults...
>> [    3.748073] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing  
>> init= option to kernel.
>> [    3.772040] Rebooting in 180 seconds..[  183.487314]   Signal: 8
>>
>>     
>
> Try changing the kernel parameters line to specify init=/bin/sh and see
> what happens.
>
> g.
>