Subject: Re: [RFC] I2C: fsl-i2c: make device probing configurable via FDT

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:09:24 +0200

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 7/16/08, Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Currently, the I2C buses are probed for HWMON I2C devices, which might
>>  not be acceptable in same cases. This patch makes device probing
>>  configurable through the property "probe" of the FDT I2C device node:
> 
> All this patch seems to be doing is removing class I2C_CLASS_HWMON via
> a device tree flag, PROBE.

Yep.

> Why do you need to do this? The OF conversion patch that is working
> its way through the system lets you put the address of the device into
> the device tree node. Probing shouldn't be necessary at all.

Currently I2C_CLASS_HWMON is used for all I2C adapters and therefore 
probing is done even with a proper I2C node defined in the DTS file. 
That's what the patch is fixing leaving the possibility to (re-)enable 
legacy probing.

For some more details you may want to have a look to Jean's mail on that 
subject: http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-July/060012.html.

Wolfgang.