Subject: Re: 2.6.26 does not boot on Pegasos

From: Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:14:12 +0100

Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:27:49PM +0100, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> If you built this kernel yourself, you need to do it from a system with
>> an up-to-date binutils (2.18) otherwise, it does this.

Note to the linux-ppc guys; is there any changelog entry which reports
this requirement somewhere? I didn't find one...

> Thanks, this is likely the problem. The distribution is Debian stable 
> with all security udates but the binutils are still 2.17.

That's generally the problem we had with SuSE 10.3. Debian stable
should be updated by Christmas.. :D

> Trying to add Lenny source does not help, bummer. Aptitude fails 
> with an error message like "Dynamic MMap ran out of room".

Ouch. Well, all I can recommend is grabbing the source files from;

http://packages.debian.org/source/testing/binutils

And compiling and installing it manually. There is a bit of a
disparity between glibc support between testing and stable that
the prebuild packages will complain about (you have to install
half of Lenny to do it, which is a bad idea just to update one
package).

Once you have the files you can just use "dpkg -x binutils-blah.dsc"
to get going.

-- 
Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations