Subject: radeonfb, dedicate memory to something else

From: Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:03:02 +0100

Hi guys,

I know this isn't a PPC question, but since some of the RadeonFB developers
live here I thought best (and it's about a PPC platform).

Is there any way to hack up the RadeonFB driver - or anything related - to
reserve portions of the memory for a "fake" MTD or so, and still use the
Radeon as a graphics device? What I am talking about basically is turning
a 64MB Radeon card into a 32MB Radeon card, or a 128MB one into a 64MB
card..

I think this can be done by hacking a PCI fixup perhaps, for Efika only
in my case, whereby the memory ranges are fiddled.

Perhaps, a better solution is to use some kind of in-kernel subsystem to
"allocate" and return a 32MB segment of PCI memory (and put it in an
named rheap) but I assume other drivers can and will simply walk all
over it?

-- 
Matt Sealey <[email-masked]>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations