Subject: Re: [PATCH add immr alias 2/4] powerpc: 5121: Add immr alias to MPC5121 ADS device tree.

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:19:44 -0500

Grant Likely wrote:
> But finding nodes that meet a criteria *is* what compatible is for and
> there is precedence for it.  All u-boot platforms are finding the node
> by path right now, and so all of them need to be changed.  Changing
> them to find by compatible that is set per-board or per-SoC makes
> complete sense to me.

It is ridiculous to have to duplicate code (or create a table, or 
whatever) just so it can search for mpc8536-foo, mpc8544-foo, 
mpc8548-foo, etc -- and in the case of the SoC, it's *not* fully 
compatible, so we *can't* pick one as the "default" -- but it's 
compatible for the purposes of the code in question.

I figured an alias would attract fewer flames than a compatible of 
"fsl,immr" (though I'm fine with it -- it's specifying compatibility of 
device tree binding, not of the hardware).

And no, they're not all finding it by path now -- there's a lot of use 
of device_type "soc", which is what we're trying to avoid by introducing 
this alias.  The bootwrapper is also affected.

-Scott