Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Rework PowerPC 44x board support

From: Valentine Barshak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:51:18 +0400

Josh Boyer wrote:
> The following patch series reworks the board support code for PowerPC 44x
> platforms.  It eliminates a number of redundant <board>.c files and add a
> ppc44x_simple.c file that has an explicit list of boards that are supported
> by it.  This is the same mechanism that Grant Likely has used for MPC 5200
> boards.
> 
> It also adds some more explicit support for Glacier and Yosemite boards, as
> those boards were using a board level compatible property in their DTS files
> that was a bit confusing.
> 
> Review would be appreciated.  Tested on Sequoia, and I plan on testing on as
> many boards as I can before committing to my tree.
> 
> josh

Sorry if I miss anything, but
what happens if I build an uImage just for Rainier (not enabling other 
platforms in the kernel config) and then start it on Canyonlands for 
example?
They both use PowerPC_44x_simple stuff and looks like now we claim that 
all these "simple" boards are compatible. So, board check always passes, 
although Canyonlands support is actually disabled (CONFIG_460EX = n; 
CONFIG_PPC4xx_PCI_EXPRESS = n). It's not critical, but I just thought we 
might also remove the platform-specific options from 
arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/Kconfig for these boards at all. Just enable 
all board-specific stuff under "config PPC44x_SIMPLE".
Otherwise we probably should have a configurable char *board[] array.

Thanks,
Valentine.