Subject: Re: porting linux 2.6.27 to embedded powerpc board

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:12:23 -0500

David Jander wrote:
> 4. Be sure that the device(s) necessary to produce output on your console are 
> correctly placed in the DT. Also make sure that u-boot knows about it 
> (#define OF_STDOUT_PATH... in your u-boot board config file)

OF_STDOUT_PATH is deprecated; you should enable 
CONFIG_OF_SERIAL_VIA_ALIAS, and provide aliases in the device tree for 
serial0, serial1, etc.

> 6. Remember to always specify the "rootfstype=" option on the commandline if 
> booting from anything other than NFS. This was not necessary back in the 
> 2.6.15-times AFAICR.

It still should not be necessary.

> 7. Boot with a device-tree (in u-boot: "bootm $addrofkernel - $addrofdtb", 
> don't forget the dash if you are not using an initrd). If you don't do this, 
> u-boot can't fix your DT, and the kernel probably won't find it either.

s/probably/definitely/

> 8. Be sure to use the correct version of the DTC (DT compiler) for your kernel 
> (the sources are included nowadays, somewhere in arch/powerpc/boot IIRC). The 
> command used to compile, should probably be something like this:

Or just use the most recent DTC.

-Scott